The primary objective of the proposal is to establish an ionospheric monitoring network over Cyprus and Egypt by linking the corresponding instruments in operation in the two countries. This objective has been already met to a significant extent since there has been a number of occasions where ionospheric disturbances over the region were recorded in both countries revealing interesting features about the development of such phenomena. The results and the subsequent analysis of observations from coordinated measurement campaigns indeed aided towards improved understanding of the upper atmosphere environment over the Eastern Mediterranean region and especially of the morphology and climatology of ionospheric irregularities over a significant latitudinal extent also enhancing the knowledge on the coupling mechanisms between mid-latitude and low-latitude ionosphere. Emphasis was placed on the characterization of the relevant phenomena under geomagnetic disturbed conditions due to space weather phenomena, which are the main cause of increased ionospheric variability, and their associated consequences which will enable the mitigation of the deleterious ionospheric propagation effects on practical terrestrial, Earth-space communication and navigation systems.
- H Haralambous , Mahrous , P Vryonides , A Shemis , A Cyprus-Egypt initiative for monitoring of Ionospheric Weather Over the eastern Mediterranean region IAGA International Symposium on Solar Wind-Space Environment Interaction pp 193-196 Cairo, Egypt December 2009.
- H Haralambous , Mahrous , P Vryonides , A Shemis Multi-instrument ionospheric disturbance detection over the Eastern Mediterranean region, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS2010) pp 3541-3544 Hawaii August 2010.
- H Haralambous , Mahrous , P Vryonides , A Shemis Monitoring of Ionospheric Weather Over Cyprus and Egypt 12th International Symposium on Equatorial Aeronomy (ISEA12) May 2008 Crete.
- H Haralambous , Mahrous , P Vryonides , A Shemis , Monitoring of Ionospheric Weather Over Cyprus and Egypt first results International Association of Geomagnetism and Aeronomy IAGA 11th Scientific Assembly August 2009 Sopron.
- Mahrous ,T Garner, A Shemis, H Haralambous Ionospheric responses during moderate magnetic storm over the mid to near-equatorial latitude using multi-instrument measurement, Committee on space research Scientific Assembly (COSPAR 2010).